Understanding the Old Testament
ABOUT THIS COURSE
Develop skills and knowledge for interpreting and applying Old Testament literature in light of its historical context.
Kenmore Alliance Center for Biblical Studies: January 2023
Summer Crown 30 Course: July 2 – August 20, 2023
PSEO Students: Contact Crown’s PSEO Team to register.
What you’ll learn
- Present a systematic overview of Israel’s history up to 400 BC.
- Correlate Israel’s history with the major empires of the ancient world.
- Identify the important persons, places and events of the Old Testament (OT) and explain their significance.
- Describe God’s sovereign election of the Israelites as His chosen people
- Recognize the cultural dynamics evident in the Old Testament narratives and appreciate the cultural differences between that setting and our modern world
- Apply the significant lessons of the OT to your own life.
- Become a life-long student of the Bible who enjoys reading the Scripture, intellectually interprets it, and seeks to flesh out the practical and moral teaching in the Bible.
GET A HEAD START
By completing this course with a demonstrated 80% proficiency, you are eligible to apply a Certificate of Completion for 3 academic credits in an undergraduate degree at Crown College. This course can also be applied as 3 professional development credits of the Crown 30 Certificate Program for learners pursuing licensing, ordination or consecration with the Christian & Missionary Alliance. View academic credit FAQs.
EARN THE UNDERSTANDING THE BIBLE CERTIFICATE
This course is part of the Understanding the Bible Certificate, which includes 4 professional development courses. You can complete the entire certificate in less than a year. Each course is offered in a similar format on CMTI. Register today to reserve your spot for an upcoming course!
LICENSING, ORDINATION + CONSECRATION REQUIREMENTS THIS COURSE FULFILLS
By completing this course and its assignments fully, you will meet the following C&MA credentialing criteria:
- 3 of the 30 required Bible, theology & ministry leadership academic credits
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO LEARN ON CMTI:
Personal Computer: You must have access to a computer with Windows 8/10 or Mac OS X to complete the course work. Linux OS based computers will function for most online content, but you may run into some restrictions when trying to view multimedia content.
Internet Service: High-speed internet service is recommended.
CMTI Learning Management System: This course will be administered online here at cmti.crown.edu. CMTI runs on a different platform than Canvas. If you have a Crown Canvas account, please note that this login and password are NOT linked, and changing the password on one does not change your password on the other.
Microsoft Office: Students must submit assignments in Microsoft Word or PDF format unless otherwise specified in order to be graded by Crown’s instructors.