ABOUT THIS COURSE
Explore essential skills for communication the gospel and other biblical truth through a variety of media.
You’ll study basic principles of exegesis and hermeneutics, strategies for effective communication and preaching, and current media for communication. You’ll also formulate your own philosophy and strategy for effective ministry communication.
January 16 – February 26, 2023
What you’ll learn
- Identify and evaluate various media for communicating a message to a variety of audiences.
- Evaluate the value and challenges of current communication strategies in the context of ministry.
- Apply basic exegetical and hermeneutical principles to the biblical text to ensure faithful communication of Scripture regardless of context or medium.
- Apply basic principles of audience analysis to a target audience with the goal of communicating effectively to them.
- Develop and deliver effective and biblically sound messages in a public speaking format.
- Synthesize the content of the class into an overall communication strategy for ministry which honors the integrity of the biblical message, while connecting with the various audience(s) you may be called to reach or lead.
LICENSING, ORDINATION + CONSECRATION REQUIREMENTS THIS COURSE FULFILLS
By completing this course and its assignments fully, you will meet the following C&MA credentialing criteria:
- Recording of full-length sermon
- 3 of the 30 required Bible, theology & ministry leadership credits
GET A HEAD START
By completing this course with a demonstrated 80% proficiency, you are eligible to apply a Certificate of Completion for 3 academic credits in an undergraduate degree at Crown College. This course can also be applied as 3 professional development credits of the Crown 30 Certificate Program for learners pursuing licensing, ordination or consecration with the Christian & Missionary Alliance.
Tony Myles is a husband, dad, multi-faceted ministry veteran, conference speaker, and author with a passion for the future of the church. He’s served that calling as a senior pastor, associate pastor and youth worker, and is also raising up future leaders as an adjunct professor at Crown College. Tony is likewise a teaching pastor who directs internships/residencies and leads the student ministry team at Riverside Church in Big Lake, Minnesota… and he really likes smoothies.
Carter, Terry G.; Duvall, Scott J. & Hays, Daniel J. (2018). Preaching God’s Word: A hands on approach to preparing, developing, and delivering the sermon. Grand Rapids: Zondervan. [ISBN: 978-0-310-53624-6]
Bundschuh, Rick. (2016). Moving messages: Ideas that will revolutionize the Sunday experience. Loveland: Group Publishing. [ISBN: 978-1470732547]
Optional Recommended Textbook:
Meyer, K. (2016). Less chaos, less noise. South Bend, IN: Thirty-One Press. [ISBN: 978-0-9974274-0-0]
Additional readings are provided in the course.