ABOUT THIS COURSE
Learn to study the Bible for yourself with confidence! You’ll gain practical experience in interpreting the Bible in this hands-on course, applying a variety of exegetical strategies to Scripture passages.
August 27 – October 15, 2023
What you’ll learn
- Observe and analyze Bible passages using inductive Bible study methods.
- Understand the importance of authorial intent when interpreting Scripture.
- Interpret Bible passages in light of their historical-cultural and literary context.
- Apply Biblical principles to your personal life and social setting.
- Utilize basic reference works and study helps when interpreting Scripture.
LICENSING, ORDINATION + CONSECRATION REQUIREMENT THIS COURSE FULFILLS
By completing this course and its assignments fully, you will meet the following C&MA credentialing criteria:
- 3 of the 30 required Bible, theology & ministry leadership course credits
EARN THE UNDERSTANDING THE BIBLE CERTIFICATE
This course is part of the Understanding the Bible Certificate, which includes 4 professional development courses. You can complete the entire certificate in less than a year. Each course is offered in a similar format on CMTI. Register today to reserve your spot for an upcoming course!
Kim Dang is Lead Pastor at Redeemer Resurrection Church and is ordained in the Christian & Missionary Alliance in addition to teaching for Crown College School of Online Studies. Of his approach to teaching, Kim says, “My personal goals are to promote the Christian virtues that proceed from the love of God, to teach all the subjects in the light of Scripture since there are no neutral facts, and to encourage my students to have reverence for God and His works…The Word is dear to my heart and my prayer is that God would use me to teach you with His Word so that you will reach others and have the zeal to disciple the nation to take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ.” Kim and his wife Lotus have two children.
GET A HEAD START
By completing this course with a demonstrated 80% proficiency, you are eligible to apply a Certificate of Completion for 3 academic credits in an undergraduate degree at Crown College. This course can also be applied as 3 professional development credits of the Crown 30 Certificate Program for learners pursuing licensing, ordination or consecration with the Christian & Missionary Alliance. View academic credit FAQs.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO LEARN ON CMTI:
Personal Computer: You must have access to a computer with Windows 8/10 or Mac OS X to complete the course work. Linux OS based computers will function for most online content, but you may run into some restrictions when trying to view multimedia content.
Internet Service: High-speed internet service is recommended.
CMTI Learning Management System: This course will be administered online here at cmti.crown.edu. CMTI runs on a different platform than Canvas. If you have a Crown Canvas account, please note that this login and password are NOT linked, and changing the password on one does not change your password on the other.
Microsoft Office: Students must submit assignments in Microsoft Word or PDF format unless otherwise specified in order to be graded by Crown’s instructors.
- Duvall, S. J. & Hays, D. J. (2012). Grasping God’s word: A hands-on approach to reading, interpreting, and applying the Bible(3rd ed.). Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan. [ISBN: 978-0310492573] (Kindle and paperback versions of the text are available through Amazon.)
- A study Bible (either the New International Version or the New American Standard Version is preferred).
- Fee, G. D., & Stuart, S. (1995). How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth (2rd ed.). Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.
Additional readings are provided in the course.