ABOUT THIS COURSE
Learn to study the Bible for yourself with confidence! You’ll gain practical experience in interpreting the Bible in this hands-on course, applying a variety of exegetical strategies to Scripture passages.
What you’ll learn
- Observe and analyze Bible passages using inductive Bible study methods.
- Understand the importance of authorial intent when interpreting Scripture.
- Interpret Bible passages in light of their historical-cultural and literary context.
- Apply Biblical principles to your personal life and social setting.
- Utilize basic reference works and study helps when interpreting Scripture.
Licensing, Ordination and Consecration Requirements this course fulfills
By completing this course and its assignments fully, you will meet the following C&MA credentialing criteria:
- 3 of the 30 required Bible, theology & ministry leadership course credits
GET A HEAD START
By completing this course with a demonstrated 80% proficiency, you are eligible to apply a Certificate of Completion for 3 academic credits in an undergraduate degree at Crown College. This course can also be applied as 3 professional development credits of the Crown 30 Certificate Program for learners pursuing licensing, ordination or consecration with the Christian & Missionary Alliance.
- Duvall, S. J. & Hays, D. J. (2012). Grasping God’s word: A hands-on approach to reading, interpreting, and applying the Bible(3rd ed.). Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan. [ISBN: 978-0310492573] (Kindle and paperback versions of the text are available through Amazon.)
- A study Bible (either the New International Version or the New American Standard Version is preferred).
- Fee, G. D., & Stuart, S. (1995). How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth (2rd ed.). Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.
Additional readings are provided in the course.