The Refugee Experience
ABOUT THIS COURSE
Gain understanding of the trauma and challenges refugees experience before, during and after resettlement, through a biblical lens. Perspectives from refugees in their own words will expand your insight and ability to minister to this population.
LEARN AT YOUR OWN PACE: Start this course anytime, and you’ll have 3 months to complete all coursework. A field-expert instructor will grade and share feedback on your work to guide your learning.
What you’ll learn
- Explain similarities and differences between displaced people, immigrants, refugees and asylum seekers.
- Describe refugee and resettlement experiences, processes and procedures.
- Evaluate refugee and immigrant experiences from a biblical perspective.
- Develop strategies for improving awareness of refugee experiences, resilience and service needs.
EARN THE REFUGEE MINISTRY CERTIFICATE
This course is Part 1 of 3 in the Refugee Ministry Certificate series. By completing this and the other two courses in this series with a demonstrated 80% proficiency, you are eligible to apply your Certificate of Completion for 3 academic credits in a graduate degree at Crown College.
You can register for ANY course in this series; they do not need to be taken consecutively.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO LEARN ON CMTI:
Personal Computer: You must have access to a computer with Windows 8/10 or Mac OS X to complete the course work. Linux OS based computers will function for most online content, but you may run into some restrictions when trying to view multimedia content.
Internet Service: High-speed internet service is recommended.
CMTI Learning Management System: This course will be administered online here at cmti.crown.edu. CMTI runs on a different platform than Canvas. If you have a Crown Canvas account, please note that this login and password are NOT linked, and changing the password on one does not change your password on the other.
Microsoft Office: Students must submit assignments in Microsoft Word or PDF format unless otherwise specified in order to be graded by Crown’s instructors.
- Kottler, J. A., Banu, S., & Jani, S. (2020). Handbook of refugee experience: Trauma, resilience, and recovery. San Diego, CA: Cognella. [ISBN: 978-1516526741] Parts of this book are used in the other courses in this series.
Additional readings are provided in the course.